Saturday, April 11, 2009

Musings of a budding sketch group.

I've been thinking about what I feel sets us apart from the rest. I think we have a few things going for us, but I'll admit we still have a long way to go.


One thing that is setting us apart is our production rate of sketches. We have five done and by my count like five or so sketches in editing limbo. By the time we get those five done, we'll have five more ready to go and so on and so on. I'm thinking we can probably get into the high teens, early 20s before we have to take any kind of break to recharge and go back to just writing or anything. I like having that kind of quantity available where once we get our own actual website it will just be populated with enough content that people would actually have to come back again to just get up to date.

Quality wise, I'll admit that we're still working somewhat in the learning curve but I also think there's a distinct increase in quality which can be seen from week to week. Each time one of the directors shoots a sketch, they're learning a little bit more about this or that technical aspect, or how to work with the other cast members or how certain comedic flows are just supposed to go. We're improvising less, planning more and taking more and more pride in our work and I think it's really starting to show. I think that soon we can boast having not only a high number of sketches, but quality enough that we can set ourselves apart from just some other group of kids with a camera and pocket full of dreams.


I think right now we're in a good spot to be. Everyone is here for the time being, which means we have 5 people interested in directing, 6 solid actors and 7 people bringing at least one good idea to the table every week.


7 founding members of We Did It! and 7 founders of The Justice League. Coincidence? Probably. I'd like to think I'm a cooler one, like Batman, but I'm probably more like Hawkgirl...mostly useless and betrays everyone in season 2.


Personally I'd like to utilize this rare opportunity and maybe try to push our boundaries a bit and see what we can really do. I'd love to see one of our directors tackle some kind of music video with a local Austin band, or perhaps enter some kind of short film contest. Ideally we'd like to put together a full episode of our show, and I think having a performance by a local band or some other variety aspect would be just spectacular. We are all still learning and I think that while we're still all here and willing we should expand our comfort zone a bit and take on a new challenge and walk away with a new experience.

But what do I know? I'll best be remembered for writing Fart Parliament and that's if everything goes according to plan.

3 comments:

Anthony D Herrera

Phil, that was a terrible unauthorized Justice Leagueography. You only pointed out which one you are which is not very helpful for the reader in understanding just what kind of people they are dealing with. Also, it shouldn't be the Justice League, we're not heroes. It should be the Legion of Doom. I'm Solomon Grundy and I guess you'd be Manta Ray and MK would be that Cheetah Lady. There was a Cheetah Lady, right?

Sean McCoy

Who would we be, though? I think MK would be like the Flash, because Sonic is like the Flash.

We might just not fit into the other guys quite as well.

Phil

I figured naming ourselves as members of the league could be a later blog post.

It's all about bringing the reader back for more.